Guests of Umma Maonu can stay in our traditional Mentawai Umma or three cosy chalets situated amongst the coconut tree forest. All our houses are built from locally sourced material and recycled wood is used where possible.
The Umma has 2 bedrooms each sleeping 2 people.
The Umma also houses the main dining, lounge and bar areas as well as a large socialising space for you to enjoy drinks, music and food to keep you fuelled after a long day of surfing.
We have 3 chalets which are situated away from the main house and entertainment area to ensure maximum privacy.
Our first chalet is house for a couple/3 people with a own kitchen and private bathroom/toilet.
The second chalet is a bungalow for up to 6 people and our third chalet is a bungalow for a couple/2 people.
Our two chalets are situated away from the main house and entertainment area to ensure maximum privacy.
The second and third chalet share the toilet, but they have their own shower areas.
All of our guests are supported by a surf guide, local tour guide, chef and a boat driver.
Every day we produce a tasty menu of local delicacies and western dishes cooked by our local chef and a western chef who are both based on the island.
The day-to-day menu includes fresh seafood, fruit and vegetables, chilli and curries, as well as plenty of braais (BBQs).
- All rooms are provided with bath towels
- There are no hot showers on the island. Shower water may smell a little as it has sulphur in it but this is regarded as very healthy for your skin and hair
- Rooms will be cleaned daily by our staff
- Music system available
We can host a maximum of 12 surfers on Maonu Island
Price for surfers: US$85 per person per night
Price for non-surfers = US $65 per person per night
**Group booking discounts available
All prices include:
- Boat transport to the island from the ferry and back
- Mentawai tourist registration
- A boat to surf, snorkel and fish every day
- 3 meals a day plus snacks
- Water, coconut water, tea and coffee
Prices do not include:
- Ferry Tickets and board tax (Approximate prices including board tax: Fast ferry $50, overnight ferry $15)
- Cool drinks
- Visa (US $35)
- Hotel stay in Padang (approx. US $8+ per night)
- Airport tax leaving Indonesia priced at 150,000 IDR (approx. US $11)
Please note: The weather in the Mentawai region is unpredictable. Unfortunately we are unable to refund any flights missed due to the weather. However, we are happy to refund any days surfing missed due to changes in the ferry timetable. This excludes any unforeseen decisions to leave early or not to travel to Mentawai.
- 5 hour private charter boat from Padang direct to the island (max. 6 people) = US $900*
- 2.5 hour private charter boat from Padang direct to the island (max. 12 people) = US $2000*
*These prices are one-way only and split by the number of people travelling.
• All taxi transfers, meals, hostel and ferry tickets organised when in Padang = $120 per person per day
What to bring with you
- Passport (must be valid for at least six months after your departure from Indonesia) plus a photocopy of your passport
- Visa (This can be bought on arrival to Indonesia for US $35).
- Travel insurance
- Completed indemnity form
- Any medical requirements (we have a limited supply)
- Cash for beers and souvenirs in the village (there are no ATMs in Mentawai)
- All surf equipment (we suggest 1 x fun board, 1 x performance board, 1 x step-up board)
- Wax (we recommend bringing one block more than you would expect to use, there are no shops nearby to replenish)
- Equipment for fishing, spearing and snorkelling
- Wet/dry bag for boat
- Sun lotion
- Beach towels
- Surf booties and shoes ideal for jungle walks
- Waterproof jacket and thermal rash vest
- Summer sleeping bags
- An awesome outlook on life
We will provide you with mosquito nets.
There are no shops available on the island, the closest places to get any supplies is a 20 minute boat ride so pack carefully.